sábado, 14 de junho de 2014

Yemisi’s Engagement ring cake. Step by step.


Am very pleased to share this cake process with you. It’s one cake that almost got me really stressed out because it was a bit difficult to figure out how the Engagement ring could be achieved but like my mum says,
” Nkan ti o lenu o gbodo gban ju eyan lo”
which simply means anything that can’t speak must not be smarter than a person.
344
  • With an 18 Guage wire, I prepared the bone of the ring as shown below.
323

  • To get an almost perfect round shape, I turned the gauge wire right round the plastic round bowl, twisted the ends to give a tight grip and separated it at the top. This top will be the resting base for the gem.
  • After you remove the bone, roll a long length of gum paste and attach unto the bone as shown below. I left the bottom part undone as this would not show in the design.
  • We left it to dry for a couple of days and painted with silver dust mixed with alcohol to give a shimmery finish.
324
For the gem, honestly the simplest thing to do would have been to get a Diamond set chocolate mold, pour in white chocolate and leave it to set in the fridge but my goodness, I searched for one and didn’t find so last minute had to mold it with my hands.
  • Start by rolling a ball of gum paste into a cone shape, then flatten the top part on the work table and use a smoother to square out the sides
  • You can cut with a knife or pizza cutter to help with this process just make sure you go back with the smoothers to shapen the sides properly. Leave to dry as well.
326
  • We take out the middle part of the cake that will be the ring’s sitting base on the box before it is crumb coated and the top part covered in fondant.
327
  •  Using a small piece of rolled fondant, make a drape using a folding in and out motion like so.
328
  • place each piece on the top of the cake
  • now you can cover the  sides of the square cake with the paneling technique.
  • Note for this technique, 2 sides have to be cut in the exact measurement of the sides while the other 2 sides will be measured  slightly more so that when it is placed on the cake, all the sides flush
  • remember to bake the other part of the cake that will be the cover of the box {we almost forgot}
  • cover that normally and set all aside.
330
Yemisi, wanted Damask details on the box so with the colour theme, I used a stencil to add that detail unto the cake as shown below.

331

332
What’s an engagement ring box without a ribbon? we just cut out 4 long strips and placed over each side of the box.
334
  •  By day 3, the gem is dry and I added on silver glitters unto the top by just moistening onlythat part of the mold and pouring the edible dust unto it and shaking off the excess.
  • It’s then placed into the space on the top of the bone and secured with the tooth pick and royal icing. {the tooth pick was inserted before it dried}
  • Then I placed the ring into the space we had carved out in the cake and covered the empty parts with more drapes
335

  • For the 4sides of our ring, I used some more fondant rolled into a thin sausage and covered the gauge wires on each side, then painted them in silver dust as well.
  •  I used a gold luster dust to give the intricate detail at the top and used silver and pearl dragees to give the details shown on the sides.
337

  • Now I attached the cover of the box to the right side of the main cake  and for added security {so that it won’t shift or fall over} I secured it unto the main cake with some barbecue sticks.
  • if you look at the picture after this one, you’ll see that we placed the cake on a card board. This is the part that rests on the cake, and to drive the stick through easily, I use  my trusted mini hammer
338
This is the card board. I cover this in white fondant as well, so it’s this part that is resting on the cake.
339
  • I cut the sticks with my wire scissors.
340
  •  then used the pieces of the ribbon to cover all of that
342
  • I attach the ribbon with royal icing.
343
All done.
346


347

345

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário